Thread: 1991 civic mystery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Be sure and double check the distributor is working properly. Mark Connolly and has been having a problem w/ this since the 1st of May in his ITC Civic that he holds the track record at Nelson Ledges with, and I've had the problem for going on 2 years. Last night Mark was finally able to work on the car and after 3 hours of checking every sensor on the car, he changed distributors, and the problem went away.

For us, the problem wouldn't allow us to hold the throttle flat on the floor, so we had to hold it at 3/4 throttle for the car to accelerate at all. Evidently there are 2 sensors inside the dizzy, one that sends a signal for spark, the other sends a signal for the injectors to fire. If one or both of these sensors go bad, then you are getting the injectors not spraying at the same time as when the spark is needed, thus the hiccup and no acceleration.

I've tried 2 other dizzy's in the past 2 years, but both were from junk yard cars. I seriously doubt that you'd notice this problem on a street car because you wouldn't spend much time at WOT, whereas we spend ALL the time at WOT. I'll be changing my dizzy tonight and am racing at Waterford Hills this coming weekend, so I'll let you know how things work.

Just my $.02.
    Sam Myers
    MWHC Series Director

2006 National Championship H4 1991 CRX Si - 7th Place
    2006 MWHC H4 1990 Civic Si HB - RIP
    2004 & 2005 MWHC H5 Champion

visit my sponsors:
    http://picperformance.com/store/scripts/news.asp
    http://www.setrabusa.com
    http://www.tracksourcellc.com

Originally posted by H5Civic@Aug 10 2005, 05:04 PM
    Be sure and double check the distributor is working properly. Mark Connolly and has been having a problem w/ this since the 1st of May in his ITC Civic that he holds the track record at Nelson Ledges with, and I've had the problem for going on 2 years. Last night Mark was finally able to work on the car and after 3 hours of checking every sensor on the car, he changed distributors, and the problem went away.

For us, the problem wouldn't allow us to hold the throttle flat on the floor, so we had to hold it at 3/4 throttle for the car to accelerate at all. Evidently there are 2 sensors inside the dizzy, one that sends a signal for spark, the other sends a signal for the injectors to fire. If one or both of these sensors go bad, then you are getting the injectors not spraying at the same time as when the spark is needed, thus the hiccup and no acceleration.

I've tried 2 other dizzy's in the past 2 years, but both were from junk yard cars. I seriously doubt that you'd notice this problem on a street car because you wouldn't spend much time at WOT, whereas we spend ALL the time at WOT. I'll be changing my dizzy tonight and am racing at Waterford Hills this coming weekend, so I'll let you know how things work.

Just my $.02.
    [snapback]58176[/snapback]
    Thank you,

I didnt know that, I hope you fix your problem, and good luck at Waterford!!
    I also have tried other dizzy's and I thought it was something else because it still had a similar problem. I will look into that and please let me know your outcome.

Devin
    Devin
    Generations Racing
    ITC Civic #12
    ITC Civic (Bro's ride)
    ITA CRX # 41
    Kart, Purple Plate # 21 (son's kart)

So Mark finally repaired the "U-Boat" issue?