Quickshoe, given that the Prodigy is a g-force-based controller, the behavior you describe is to be expected, and as you note, in a lot of ways preferred.

Unfortunately, all it does is measure g-force along the longitudinal axis of the truck. The initial setting you make, the one where you adjust the left side control, is simply zeroing the unit when you're stationary and horizontal. The right side adjuster - the only one you want to adjust while moving - is the max voltage control. So, when the truck is not horizontal, the unit has no way to determine if that longitudinal g-force is due to braking or gravity. Off-hand, I really can't think of a way they really could do it.

The Prodigy (any controller, actually) should not be applying the trailer brakes at any time if you're not on the truck brakes.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...when coasting/cruising down a steep pass at 70mph in Drive and building speed I don't want to have to keep touching the brake to scrub speed...</font>
Some controllers, usually the time/rate-based ones, have an external lever built into them where you can manually control the trailer brakes separate from the truck. This is a good thing to have if you want to only apply the trailer brakes or if your trailer starts fish-tailing; without touching the truck brakes (and possibly causing a jack-knife) you can apply the trailer brakes to get the trailer back in line (and then pull over to readjust your load forward).

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...reluctant to turn the brake controller all the way down when going downhill just in case I need to stop quickly.</font>
One thing you want to avoid is having "too much brake" on the truck relative to the trailer, expecially going downhill. You want the trailer to actually pull on the truck a little bit under braking, otherwise you risk having the trailer try to pass the truck. On the other hand, you don't want more brake on the trailer than the trailer tires can handle, otherwise you'll lock the trailer brakes and flat-spot 'em (and you'll want to turn the controller down or off when the trailer is empty for the same reason).

In general, as I depart for a trip I set the Prodigy to level it as described in the instructions, then I adjust the voltage control initially as described. Then, for the first few stops on the way out of town I try to find the max braking the trailer tires can handle, and adjust the voltage down a tad bit. I'm driving a 1-ton Ford van, so the truck itself has good brakes, but I still like to have the trailer doing its fair share of the braking load.

From there I'll adjust the trailer brakes for the conditions, such as reducing trailer brakes in the rain. I'd consider reducing the trailer brakes on the downhills if it's too harsh, but I don't want to do it too much in case some bozo pulls out in front of me...

GA