Originally posted by grega:
...The g-force ones detect the longitudinal g-force of the braking and adjusts the trailer voltage appropriately: harder braking results in higher voltage to the trailer brakes.

...it would not be unusual for you to adjust it during the trip for changing road conditions.
Greg,

Since you seem to be pretty well versed in their operation and I have a Prodigy, I have an observation that perhaps you can comment on.

I find that while braking uphill the trailer brakes offer very little assistance. Perhaps the g-potentiometer thingy thinks I am not stopping as fast as I am due to the fact that it is now oriented uphill. I also find that when going down hill the trailer braking is extra strong. Perhaps the g.p.t thinks that I am stopping much faster then I really am, again due to the unit being out of level.

These would be good side effects; more braking downhill, less braking uphill. However, it would be nice if there was some logic programmed into the thing that says if the g.p.t is reading some amount of -acceleration but the brake switch is not closed we are going downhill.

My complaint is when coasting/cruising down a steep pass at 70mph in Drive and building speed I don't want to have to keep touching the brake to scrub speed, having the trailer give the whole rig a nice jerk.

I am reluctant to turn the brake controller all the way down when going downhill just in case I need to stop quickly.

Comments?

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited May 19, 2004).]