Originally posted by evanwebb:
Doesn't it strike anyone else as absurd that you could "not know" that your motor has too much compression? So, you get your motor back from the pro engine builder guy and you install it and never do a compression test? Ever? Ridiculous.
Ok, I've only built a handful of engines, and the current one is my first full blown race build (balancing, blueprinting, etc), but the only time I've ever seen the need to run a compression test is if I felt something was wrong with the engine. And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't compression tests used more for comparative purposes? Unless you were comparing the compression numbers against another similar engine, how would this tell if you were over by a few tenths of a point on the ratio?

I'm not defending Bob, but I think some of you guys are going a little overboard. Especially after reading Jake's thread ("A Protest Story"), I'm more inclined to believe this was most likely an oversight on the part of the builder/owner, if even that, and nothing more. Obviously, if the engine was not in compliance there need to be consequences, but I think burning at the stake is a little much in this case.

Earl