Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st. Gen Wheels help

Has anyone ever thought that there is no spec listed anywhere for the axel tube or any amt of toe, camber etc because the thing was designed to be straight? Sure, neg camber can be achieved by bending the axle tubes but unless the job is done correctly, the diff will suffer. To achieve 1 deg of neg camber, the tube would have to be bent up at least a 1/4".(Rough guess. Protractor is put away). This will cause the axel to bow when installed and make for a very short life span......unless the job is done correctly which will include cutting a 1/4" off the end of the axel that goes into the diff and grinding the splines at an angle relative to the degree of bend in the tube. The more I continue with this, it seems like i'm getting farther away from being legal. Hmmmmmmm. Better stop now.
    Ray

I can promise you there is a spec for the rear alignment on that car. It just hasn't been needed yet. Call any alignment shop that does 4 wheel or thrust alignments and they can give you a spec. Or look in a Factory body service manual and I am sure you will find a spec for component alignment.

Originally posted by Quickshoe:
    Beat them fair and square, you'll feel much better when you do.
    Amen to that.

Sorry. This thread went from wheels help to help me bend my axel but I didn't do it ...and I spelled axle wrong this whole time
    Ray

[This message has been edited by moto62 (edited July 29, 2003).]

Originally posted by Joe Harlan:
    Or look in a Factory body service manual and I am sure you will find a spec for component alignment.
    There's the issue. All that the SCCA requires for Factory Specs is a number in the FSM. NO SUCH SPEC EXISTS. The FSM (and I'm not talking Haynes) is available online... do a search and take a look.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Originally posted by moto62 Has anyone ever thought that there is no spec listed anywhere for the axel tube or any amt of toe, camber etc because the thing was designed to be straight?</font>
    So, in that theory, if "Straight" is the presumed factory spec, then it's legal to bend the tube back to spec since running anything else would be illegal right?

Like I said before. Find us an RX7 axle that has 0 camber and 0 toe. For every one that you find you'll probably find 9 others with different readings.

I will agree that cutting, sectioning, machining etc. is not legal (unless it's a repair or allowed modification), but since NO FACTORY SPEC EXISTS for the rearend housing, any setting is legal whether its been adjusted by an IT racer or gravity/time, pot holes or hill jumping teen-agers.

I thought about hammering my point to the board on letting 7's adjust, but Shoe and you others are right, the fault lies in the present wording that allows some but not others so thats where im going to the board on, those cars have a spec and its 0, not 1/ 1/2, im going to ask that all cars run 0 or as close to with any more than 1 deg combined from both sides being illegal. dont get me going on the die grinder in the port thing....

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited July 29, 2003).]

The good news is I have my orignal problem solved. I can pass the powder test and don't have to worry about that anymore.

I've also gained a lot of info about camber.

Speed Raycer - Yes I was the yellow RX7 at Gateway. I'm still looking to solve the wheel stud problem we discussed Saturday. Let me know if you find a source. The ones I've been getting from Mazdatrix are junk. I also talked to Charlie clark and he had the same problem before he converted to EP and was able to modify the disc. If I hear anything from him I'll pass it on.

Everyone - Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate all the comments.