OK, one at a time.

First off, the brakes worked OK'ish this weekend. I was able to brake without pumping too much, just that the pedal travel was poor, and soft, also had a lockup problem on left front. Heel-toe was exciting, and I am now a foot contortionist.

Geo46 - You know I think it was after I replaced the rear pads, but they are installed properly, I even made my own tool to screw the pistons back in, and align them for the studs on the pads.

BrianB - the rear rotors are true. The pistons rest against the pads, and the pads are right up against the rotor where they should be. I am not getting excessive retraction of the pistons.

7's Racing - Bench bled the MC, then again on the car, then just the master and the prop valve, rest isolated out, pretty sure there is no air, and have swapped in three different prop valves from parts cars. These valves "never" go, according to Mazda, and I know two dealers that have never sold a replacement.

Brian B - When I had the booster and the MC checked, the shop looked at that problem, and replaced the pin in the booster. There are various different 1st gen boosters, and various 1st gen MC's, and they don't all match up. The Booster re-build shop say they matched the booster to the MC. I gotta take their word, but this is my guess for the problem area.

7's Racing - right, I have a good pedal before I start the motor. Then it drops a LOT. When I isolated just the master, with all lines closed off, the pedal was rack hard, and above the gas pedal, with everything connected and the motor running, the pedal is way below the gas pedal.

Festus - I have had a really good look at the lines, at all the flares/joints, the lot.

Now, all that said, the season is over. We won our class, and we also got overall Track Championship. Not bad for a nearly 20 year old car, a 58 year old driver and no @#$%%^$# brakes. I'm going to do what I said before. REPLACE EVERYTHING. ( or, considering how well we did, maybe not, who needs brakes anyway, you just lose momemtum)

------------------
G. Brooke Carter
# 10 Challenge Car
Calgary, Alberta

[This message has been edited by bcarter (edited September 23, 2002).]