323LX, you must read this!!

First, my opinion. Buy a car. You can build another while you are racing.

Second, regardless of whether you build or buy, find someone who is knowledgeable about IT to help you make decisions. Also, YOU must be COMPLETELY familiar with the GCR and ITCS. There are plenty of people out there who will give you advice and sell you their cars who are completely ignorant of the rules.

Now for the important part. In regards to:
------------------------------------------

Race Car: ITB Mazda 323 - Great entry level regional or school car. New Simpson harness, tires have 2 races and the engine is strong. Has many new and used parts including engine, transmission and chassis parts. Teched in 2001. Has done a 1:06 at LRP. Loads of fun at low cost. $2200/BO or will consider trade. Contact [email protected] or call David at 860-233-5155.
Listed as of 10-23-01

How could anyone possibly build a track ready car for less than that? What do you think 323LX? They are definitly out there if you are willing to spend some time looking.

______---------------------------------------

I went to Hartford (where the car is located) in December. David was very nice and he made me glad to be getting back into racing. He also knew nothing about IT racing. He has a very nice production Spitfire that he has raced for years. His son races World Challenge. They bought the car to do a local IT Enduro Series at LRP. Neither has any previous IT experience.

THE CAR IS NOT, NOT, NOT LEGAL FOR IT!!!!!!

It might pass tech in LRP, but it would not even come close in the southeast.

The car has been backed into a wall before and the left rear corner and hatch have been tweaked pretty bad. As a result, the stock rear glass would not fit. So someone replaced it with Lexan. Not legal. This was the most glaring problem but it seems that there were several others like headlights removed and replaced with covers "like the World Challenge car". I don't believe anyone was trying to screw me, they just didn't know any better.

In conclusion, it is critcal that you know the rules and also try to find a tech inspector who will assist you with a prepurchase inspection.

Also, if you buy a "cheap" car you are going to have the same problems as if the build a "cheap" car. Neither will be inexpensive. However, if you are knowledgeable, you can get a very good car for LOTS less than it would cost to build one and still have the option to build a second car for the experience. I keep threatening to do this, but the building budget buys a lot of tires and entry fees and don't clutter up the garage as bad.

Rory

PS I did find a great deal on an RX7 and I bought it. I paid more than twice as much as for the 323, but I got a much better value.