Originally posted by SETUP:
it has been my opinion that these parts are illegal as well due to the drilling of the subframe. It is too bad as they are very effective in their intended use and a well made unit. I can only hope that further ingenuity will be applied at making them with a legal form of attachment. Just because a lot of Hondas with radius rods use them and have pasted tech at the ARC doesn't make them legal. Many a car has passed tech in the shed at the ARC but were still obviously illegal according to the rules. I remember seeing pictures of Bob Stretchs 240 sx up on jack stands in the tech shed , and visible plain as day were fully threaded AD aluminum shocks. Performance advantage..questionable, illegal at that time...You bet it was.
Sorry, threaded body shocks were never illegal. However, using the threads on the shock body for ride height adjustment was illegal. As long as you permanently locked some sort of perch to the body of the shock and then slid a coil-over sleeve over the body, it was perfectly legal.