Thread: On-track temp?

Default On-track temp?

At a track day Last november at Summit, my idiot light came on after about 9 laps. At the time I peeked at the oil and water temp gages and realized I wasn't sure what would be considered "normal" and what would be considered... uh, time to shut it down.

I've got a red sharpie all ready to go.

-dave
    8)

I am sure that Gregg Ginsberg can tell exactly how hot is too hot on a honda.

He should be along shortly to tell his tale of woe.
    It involves spending lots of $$$$$$$$$$

cheers
    dave parker
    wdcr ITC#97

Yes, Dave. That usually happens when you lose your upper radiator hose and run six laps without coolant....my guess is a VW motor wouldn't last two.

Anyways, my water temp is usually between 200 and 210 degrees. I'd have to check on oil temp.

Oil pressure (w/ my remote filter and oil cooler) is usually between 50 and 75lbs.

------------------
    Gregg Ginsberg
    http://www.ginsberg.org
    '89 CRX Si -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited March 03, 2005).]

Ouch! Sounds like you have a good sense of humor about it... better to laugh then cry?

I was pretty aware of the temp gauge when I rented, actually borrowed, my brother-in-law's RX-7. The year prior his co-driver toasted the engine.

Thanks for the info. That's about where the water temp was during the session when the idiot light came on.

I feel like I'm on the right track with the diagnosis. No baffles in the oil pan = light-on.

Anything else that can be done to resolve this issue besides replacing the oil pan?

Thanks for the info.

-dave
    8)

Autometer has a nice set of dual gauges (water/oil) that have idiot lights in them that light up when things get hot. When mounted up high, they give a much needed warning to shut her down, especially when we are too busy to watch those gauges.