Originally posted by CRX Lee G:
The early '88 cars had a smalled OD crank snout (same as the 84-87 cars) and they changed it to a larger diameter in late 88 or 89. I found out as I got light aluminum pulleys from Unorthodox and got the wrong one first for my '88 EP/FP car. Because of the ID of the pulley, they are not interchangable.

The stock pulleys are solid with no isolated damper so a lighter weight balanced pulley should be no problem. I was told that the stock Honda engine was so well balanced to begin with that it needed not isolating damper and therefore a good aftermarket one should be fine and mucho lighter. My car has not fired yet but I intend to see 9,000-9,500 rpm, much higher than an IT car would.

Lee is right. I had an early make 88 engine that got destroyed, whole nother story, anyhow, went to junkyard, got another 88 block, it didn't come with a crankshart pulley. Got the whole thing back together, went to put on the old pulley and it didn't fit, came to find out the hard way that there are two different snout sizes in 88. Am running the stamped one now (3 years, no problems), won't tell you how to make it work, but a good lathe, and a broaching tool can not only make it work but can also make it even lighter!!

------------------
Brent Breon
Cendiv ITA #26
www.360racing.com

[This message has been edited by B Breon (edited February 23, 2003).]