OK, I went and had a phad thai and a couple of Singhas and am back.

Nope - still not legal.

This is NOT to say that I haven't looked longingly at the pile of DX Coupes that live in this college town, and had impure EX thoughts myself. Heck, I have even thought of building a faux EK4 SiR or Vti out of a DX hatch and a B16A2 out of one of those goofy DelSols, to try to pass off as a GrN rally car to run the North American FIA championship...

At the end of the day, for IT purposes, it doesn't matter if the shells ARE the same or not - the numbers have to match the car on the spec line under which you are running. NOW, if the VIN doesn't discriminate between a DX and an Si, that might be a different deal. You would, of course, have to run ALL of the Si parts that are particular to that model, and NONE of the DX parts. Frankly, it would probably be easier to cut the roof off of the DX and Frankengraft it onto the Si (which also makes the cage a cinch to weld). Or spend the $500 to have a body shop put a new skin on it.

My data also tells me that the Si is some 170# heavier from the factory - is that all accounted for in the roof and engine? I dunno.

Would it be cheaper? Perhaps not, given the resale value of the Si. The blue book numbers on "good" cars puts the premium for an Si (over a DX) at something between $700-1200, depending in the year.

Kirk

(edit - BTW, if it isn't obvious already, you are talking about something that is very close to my current interest! And you DO know that the Si is an ITS car, right?)

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited August 10, 2002).]