I've found Improved Touring! This would be my first post here...

I have a JDM "ZC" LSD tranny - yes, they are also of the "L3" series. I do not know specifically what Japanese cars came with the LSD equipped L3. Here's what I know:

-The LSD option is rare. I looked for 7 months to find a factory LSD equipped L3.

-The tranny case of the "ZC L3" is identical to the Si trim level cases with the LARGE diff. bearing. In other words, if you didn't already know, the L3 tranny's came with 2 different sized diff carrier bearings. The larger of the two measures 40x80x18. So, any and all of the ZC L3 tranny guts will swap into a US tranny case. I had to do this because of the condition the ZC tranny was in when I received it.

-The 1-5 gearing of the ZC L3 is closer than any L3 available in North America. The ratios are:
3.888FD

As for the FD options. All the FD ratio's I know of are:
2.954 = CRX HF
3.250 = CRX HF (California spec)
3.888 = Civic Hatchback, CRX all trim levels except Civic std., Civic Si, and CRX HF.
4.058 = All Civic 4 door Sedans
4.250 = Civic/CRX Si

[edit] any of these FD's can be used in any 5-speed L3 tranny. Obviously, you will need the countershaft and ring gear as a set.

There is no factory 4.4 FD that I know of that fits into an L3. I'm not going to say that there is no 4.4 for an L3, but in 4 years of fooling around with 88-91 cars, I've never come across that ratio.

Very Important:
You should be aware that the ZC L3 diff, LSD or not, uses the larger spline "Integra Sized" inner axle joints. The smaller Civic/CRX inner axle joints will not work in the ZC L3 diff.

I don't know jack about ITA/SCCA rules, but I do know that the DOHC ZC motors use a half shaft (intermediate shaft) that BOLTS ONTO a D16A6 block. The threads are already there for you. Do not assume that the int. shaft from the similar D16A1 in the 86-89 Integra will fit. The 86-89 Integra int. shaft is different than the ZC int. shaft.

That said, your axle options are as follows:

-Use stock unequal length axles, but replace the inner joints with 90-93 Integra inner joints.

-Use the ZC int. shaft and 90-93 equal length Integra axles. You will have to remove the dust ring from the inside of the steering knuckles so that the integra outer joints do not bind against those dust rings.

-Use the ZC int. shaft with 2 Right Hand (short) Civic/CRX axles fitted with 90-93 Integra inner joints. No steering knuckle dust ring removal required.

-DO NOT use 86-89 Integra axles. The spline diameter of the inner joint is correct for the ZC diff, but the length of the joint cup is too short. The axle shaft will come out of the cup on sharp turns.

[another edit]
For referance, my motor/L3 tranny/driveline is made up of the following:
motor:
-Endyn rebuilt JRSC D16A6
tranny:
-90 CRX Si tranny case
-ZC 1-4 gears
-Si 5th gear
-Civic Sedan FD
-ZC LSD
driveline:
-ZC int. shaft
-stock Civic RH axle with 90-93 inner joint
-90-93 integra LH axle, dust ring removed
-90-91 Civic sedan steering knuckles and brakes.

The list goes on, browse my site.
I've got more info on these trannys on my webpage:
http://tjshondas.20m.com

Just look for "The L3 Transmission" link.

Hope I've helped, seems like I've written a book up there.
-TJ

[This message has been edited by -TJ (edited June 05, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by -TJ (edited June 05, 2002).]