Jon - towing with the Caprice is like towing with any mid-sized, small V8 truck. On a flat, the car tows fine. Up a hill, it starts to loose speed, but still gets teh job done. This would be the same with a 1500 PU with the same engine/tranny.

I got it instead of a truck for two reasons. One, it seats 5, so I don't need another vehicle. Two, the price was right and it was hard to find a suitable truck in similar price range.

The newer cars are more expensive ($5000+ for an ex-service vehicle), but also have the 260hp LT1 instead of the ~200hp LO5. The civilian cars mostly had 302s, not 350s and probably would struggle towing a full rig. The copcar also has a way better suspension setup.

I chose a '89 because it has by far the stiffest rear spring rates (of the fuel injected cars, from '89-'96). The newer cars have softer springs and would need helpers or airbags IMO. Also, it has less power so the tranny tends to last a bit longer. And the LT1 cars have the 4L60e (electronic version of 700R4/4L60) which costs twice as much to rebuild.

If you look for a service car, try to find the original owner and get a service record. Most counties have these available. Also, be sure the car has the oil cooler, trans cooler, and PS cooler. These were standard some years, but optional others.

On the newer cars, also look for the posi rear. And the final drive ratio. The boxy cars mostly had 3.43 and no posi. The newer cars mostly have 3.02 (or similar). But there are some with 3.43 posi units that make the car really haul ass.

Finding a boxy in good shape is getting harder. But they are great cars.

There are tons of round body cars available. Do some research and wait for the right car. If you want a round body, get an LT1 car (94-96). Without the LT1, you may as well save some cash and get a square body - the 91-93 roundy had the same drivetrain.