Originally posted by -GTR-:
i'm looking at getting into it racing. what's the cost of running an 85 civic, fully sorted, like? what are the costs in general like for a season? any info would be nice.
I have been running ITC here in Cendiv with an 86 Civic DX for the last couple of years. I don't know how much of your own work you can/would do, but I do all of my own except for machine shop work like boring and honing..

The first year, I ran just about the entire season on a single set of Kumho tires. I would say to mount a truly competitive effort, you would budget for 3 sets of tires at $400 per set. Brake pads, I went through 2 sets of pads at $130/set and 2 rotors at $11/rotor (NAPA). Left side axle bearings needed replacement at the end of year-2. I got almost new ones at the local boneyard for $30. Synthetic engine oil and transmission gear oil helps. Change both every three race weekends - $40 including filter per chg - 4 changes per season = $160. You should consider refreshing the engine every two years which should cost you no more than $1,000. Incidentals like brake ducts, zip ties, air filters, etc - around $100 per season.

This car has been the most bang-for-the-buck of any car I have raced in the last 35 years.

My quick calculations bring in the expenses of this car at under $2300 per season. This does not include Entry fees, fuel, lodging etc. My American Sedan Camaro cost me roughly $1500 per weekend with Tires and Transmissions being the chief consumables that broke the bank.

Good luck!

Randy Van de Loo
ITC Honda #7 - Gotcha - LOL Region