Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf III ITB

ooh, I know!!!!

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
    ...what is illigal about your car in the above picture??? ...
    NASA stickers aren't covered up.

K

Can one of your A3 guys do some measuring and tell me what thickness wheel spacer would be optimum front and rear to get your tire out to the legal limit of the fender?

Factor in some neg camber too.

------------------
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    ## 2003 ITB NYSRRC Champs ##

Oh, I thought it was the studded tires

Originally posted by Knestis:
    NASA stickers aren't covered up.

K

Kirk is making me jealous. And it's white (the Albin family vehicle color--don't ask).

Chris can't build an A3 until his truck is done (there are some trade-offs in life), but if we find one, I get to drive it until it's new career starts.

Anybody got any leads on one? We are looking, but not getting lucky.

------------------
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

Keep an eye on the Classifieds > MkIII section of the VWVortex forums. There have been a number of 2-door GTI/Sports available in the last few months - some of them seemingly a better deal than I got on mine. Most have been in the NE.

K

EDIT - updated build pics at http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/build.php

and more...

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited January 15, 2004).]

Kirk,
    Car looks great! When I ran my GTI in SSC several years ago I found a plastic cover for the radio from VW to finish off the dash, came from a city golf I think, would look great in your car, only $5 or so.
    Fred

oooohhhhh, new wheels! Very sexy!!

Nice job Kirk!

------------------
    SCCA 279608

I don't know about sexy but I have 9 of the Orlando 8-spokes and 8 of the "5-stars" - one set of which has new Falken street tires so the race tires went on the former.

Rumor has it that the 5-star wheels are lighter but I really don't know.

K

Kirk,

I don't know if the 5-stars (have no idea what the 'official' name is) are lighter than those other wheels. IIRC though, the original GTI 'snowflakes' are the lightest of the OEM 14x6 VW wheels. There are boatloads of them floating around, and can usually be had for $50 - $200 per set of four, depending on condition. I don't know if you're allowed to run them in SS or not. The only thing I will tell you is to stay away from the A2 16v (teardrop) wheels. They're pig-heavy and don't move much air.

------------------
    SCCA 279608

Can one of your A3 guys do some measuring and tell me what thickness wheel spacer would be optimum front and rear to get your tire out to the legal limit of the fender?

My tires are so far from the arc of the fender - height-wise - that it's really hard to tell.

K

I weighed all of the removed carpets, foam underlayment, fiber underlayment, ice-cube sandbags (you'll get it when you see it), etc from the Golf. 29 pounds.

Dave,
    In this frigid cold, taking all the tar paper off the floor should be a snap (literally)

- Bill

Bill,

I went into the unheated shed where the car sits and tried chipping away with a chisel and a putty knife. The results were a very numb body and no significant amount of sound deadner removed. This stuff feels very different than what I attacked on the Rabbit. Much stiffer and much better adhered. Maybe because it is 12 years younger? I'll give it another shot next weekend with either dry ice or a heat gun. Would an air gasket-scraper or air hammer with chisel blade be a great improvement?

OTOH the glue for the carpet padding is much less in quantity and vexatiousness in this car.

Kirk,

Looking at your pictures I see your car has the explosive seat belt pre-tensioners. I just want to report that my 95 Sport did not have them.

Dave Z

I thought about removing the tensioners but decided not to. I've left it such that the OE driver's belt can be reinstalled with minimum hassle, in case I run into problems with the NC inspection or if I decide to sell it without the safety equipment in a few years. I kind of figured that if I get in a situation where they go off, I'll have enough to worry about: It's not like having airbags punch you in the face...

Besides, I don't think there's a provision in the SS rules to actually remove them.

K

Kirk,

For what it is worth I was told that I could remove the tensioners in my 95 Sport SSC car a few years ago at a annual tech. The inspector said he felt it was part of the airbag system.... My current SSB VR6 GTI I replaced the belts with non-tensioner style ( found them in EKTA ) so that the car could still be street legal.

Kirk,

I know it has been a while, but I am looking to buy a seat, and wanted a Recaro, but they won't let me sit in one first.

So, unless someone knows where a dealer is near Philadelphia, could you possibly email me off-line? I would like to get the specs on the seat you have.

Thanks!

email address is [email protected]

Kirk,

You are welcome to my non-exploding OE belts. The cars are on the same spec line, aren't they? Of course that means disassembling all the trim up to the B pillar....

Dave Z

Thanks, Dave but it took me an hour per side to thread the rear interior panels back in around the cage: They're staying in there until I do the IT converstion in two years.

My only concern - and it's pretty abstract - is that the seatbelt tensioners on a Golf IV set the insulation alight in a IIHS offset crash test a couple years ago...

K

EDIT - My question is when are we going to get to see progress on the REAL IT MkIIIs that should be getting built out there?

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited January 21, 2004).]