Originally posted by Monkeywrench:
Bill and Tim,

Can you shed some light on the differences between an IT GTI and a Production GTI (both A1 and A2)? All I can see is the addition of slicks, ram air (or something similar), additional lightening. I'm also guessing an aftermarket cam and adding some bigger rotors/ different calipers is allowed too. Is that really the only differences from an IT car to Production?
There are some differences to the body work, like the addition of fiberglass hood, fenders and flares, and rear hatch. You also can replace all of the side, rear, and windshield with Lexan. You have to remove all the other glass parts, headlights, side marker lights, etc. You can remove the bumpers, but then you need to add tow eyes.

As far as other performance things, the spec line in the PCS for the Rabbit GTI gives what you can do. Cam limitation is .420 lift, compression is limited to 11.0:1, IT port/polish 1" into the head and manifold. Basically an IT motor with a little hotter cam, and a bit of compression.

Brakes are the same as IT.

The biggest thing for this car is the transmission. You have to use the stock case, but all of the internals are free. This is causing a VERY BIG foobar in the LP Prod community. Put it this way, in order for the car to even be competitive on a National level, we need to invest $6-8k in the development of a dog-box, straight cut gear style tranmission with custom ratio's before the powers that be will give us any "competition adjustments". They also don't want the LP cars to be real competitive for a couple of years, in fear that they will piss off all of the other "full prep" prod drivers that have spent years and millions of dollars to make their old British cars competitive.

We are the new kids on the block, and need to walk carfully in the mine field.

Also, the new IT threaded body shock rule is also for the LP Prod community for next year, so that is a benefit for all.

If you have any other detailed question, feel free to contact me @ racer_tim at yahoo dot com

This is just my $0.02 worth.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html