Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarification: Bumper lights

~~ Bill wonders why the ITS Mazda guys are spending so much time in the VW forum. ~~
    Are they worried about the 207 HP ?

Are you kidding me? I LOVE the Corrado and figure it can be a REAL FORCE in ITS. At that weight with that power it should be able to outrun an ITS RX-7 in a straight line. Now getting them to handle will be your job! Keep us up to date!

Besides, it's more of an ITAC presence than an Mazda...

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region #188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Yah, turning and breaking...it will be interesting. But I really just want to listen to the engine....so nice...

VR6 rev

- Bill

[This message has been edited by Bildon (edited January 24, 2004).]

EDIT:
    Ended up building a small page showing a Corrado running in the Volkswagen Racing Series here in England. A small video of the car at speed also on the page.

http://www.geocities.com/ralf_lindow/Corrado.html

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited January 24, 2004).]

http://www.improvedtouring.com/chat2/

What about the Tow Hook on the 02 in the Golf III ITB page 3? I would like to add Tow hooks is this fine?

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited January 29, 2004).]

duplicate oops!

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited January 29, 2004).]

Very good point there! That is the factory hook location and you must remove the light or reflector to screw it in. Interesting.

- Bill

There is something in the rules that states you can't do something prohibited to facilitate a legal modification. Unless it's specifically mentioned, that would be illegal.

AB

Originally posted by ITSRX7:
    There is something in the rules that states you can't do something prohibited to facilitate a legal modification. Unless it's specifically mentioned, that would be illegal.

AB
    This one is a tough one since it is a legal tow hook and we need to use tow hooks all the time why wouldn't this be allowed. I would understand if I was to take out the lights and welded in my own tow hook but this is stock.

Just because it's stock doesn't mean it's legal. You CAN'T remove the bumper lights per the rules - show me someplace in the GCR a rule that superceeds the bumper light rule with specific reqard to factory tow hooks - it doesn't exist.

2004 ITCS - 7
    D. No premitted component/modification shall additionally perform a prohibited function.

In this situation, you will have to weld up custom hooks like half of IT.

Rules are Rules. In this case it would give the car a competitive advantage - sorry!

AB

[This message has been edited by ITSRX7 (edited January 31, 2004).]

Here is my take:

Put a blocking plate in there and tape over it. It would be a weenie protest if someone wrote papers.

AB

If you look really close at the picture, he has the rest of the opening covered. It might even have the plastic of the lights/reflector under the tape. THe tape happens to be black. I guess it would be a "weenie protest."

Enjoy!

Jason
    ITB Scirocco
    Not the Jason that owns the car in question.

show me someplace in the GCR a rule that superceeds the bumper light rule with specific reqard to factory tow hooks
    Hmmm, didn't find that... but, let's try this one:

"Any removable covers used to cover spare tires, tools, bins, etc., may be removed..." 2004 ITCS, section 9, subpart g.

On the Golf 3, for example, the tow hook comes in the *tool* bag, and must be reverse-threaded into the ONLY strengthened portion of the frame rail, which happens to be right behind the dummy reflector *cover*.

BTW, don't try towing by the bumper itself, because if just one of the four tiny bolts that holds it on is loose, it can tear right off the car (this, unfortunately, I know from experience).

Perhap it's a stretch to leave this *cover* off to make towing safer. But, not as much as the potential stretch of sheet metal and/or bumper retaining bolts, IMHO.

You should be a public defender Eric. I could have really used your help once when I was young and in trouble.

I stood there with that nice, strong tow loop in my hand as well, picturing boring a hole in the reflector and poking it in there. I couldn't find any rule that allowed me to do that in either the SS or IT rules, however and I still haven't.

It would be an elegant solution but, weenie protest or not, it's a too-big stretch.

K

Nor could you carry the towing eye in the car as 17.31 states "A removable towing eye carried inside the car is not acceptable." It further states "These towing eyes shall be easily accesible without removal or manipulation of bodywork or other panels."

Personally I think that the factory engineered location for towing is probably better then one I can fab. I would suggest that the ITCS be modified to state:

"OEM removable Towing Eyes may be permanently mounted in the oem location. Where this requires the removal or manipulation of bodywork or other panels, those panels may be modified solely to allow the installation of the towing eye so that no removal or manipulation of bodywork or other panels is required . All other requirements of GCR section 17.31 shall apply."

Is this agreeable? Time for letters?

Now how about that rear tow hook that is tucked behind a removable panel? Anyone got language for that? The way that panel is held on, it may not survive the start of its first race :-)

Dave Zaslow

Dave... are you implying that you have a new car? How about Joel? If so it looks like we will have 4+ VW in NE!

Kirk, Thanks

Dave, I like your proposal but worry that the stock front towing eye might protrude too much if left in place. I'd like to be able to put a hinged towing eye right there, though.

Raymond, after buying 5 A3-chassis cars (3 GTIs, 2 Jettas), and reselling just 1 Jetta, I'm still the proud owner of four (4) A3s (much to my neighbor's disappointment). I'll definitely be running an A3 this year, but it will probably be a VR6 in ITS (whether or not I scrape up the bucks for an 02A Quaife). Currently undecided on Jetta or GTI, though, although leaning towards GTI (even though it means moving an entire cage)...

P.S. -- Note the shadow cast by Jason's tow hook on p.3 of the "Golf 3 ITB" thread.

[This message has been edited by Eric Parham (edited February 02, 2004).]

...Meanwhile back at the ranch.

Simple solution to the broken light problem. Velcro! 3 strips on each light and then just slapped a thin peice of aluminum sheet on the front. Keeps the rocks from smashing the lights and is easily removable for when the rules nazis show up.

Oh, and I also put some 20 mil thick vinyl on the headlights to protect them. Griot sells it.

------------------
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    ## 2003 ITB NYSRRC Champs ##

[This message has been edited by Bildon (edited February 14, 2004).]

Gorgeous.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region #188967

I can't find any information regarding the in bumper lights issue in the ITCS section.
    It is in the Touring category and Showroom section. What am I missing?

------------------
    ahondafor?

ITCS
    Body/Structure 8.b.

Safety 10.5.g.