Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Books on Driving a Front Wheel Drive

>> Does anyone actually left foor brake???

Absolutely! Without revealing any of my secrets I can say that there are a few corners out there where a left foot on the brake while leaving the right foot planted on the floor has made ALL the difference in getting those pole position lap times in.

A corner where you normally would do a "jesus" lift (LRP?) or one in which you need to settle the chassis (a quick left right combo for example)

There are 2 reason I find this beneficial...no matter how smoothly you release off the gas and roll back on...it takes time! And no matter how smoothly this is done, it upsets the balance of the car.

Left foot braking (where possible) is key.

------------------
    Bill Sulouff - Bildon Motorsport
    Volkswagen Racing Equipment
    ## 2003 ITB NYSRRC Champs ##

I think left-foot braking technique is the only way Chris knows how to drive.

------------------
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

hmmm and by the way... a "Pole position Lap time" does not always a pole position make!

Didn't sound so pompous until I read it later

- Bill

Interesting... do you hqave a brake bias??? I am now wondering how much of an effect that has...

Thanks for the input... I am dreaming of left foot braking and giong faster in the Audi's!!!

Raymond

Many, many, many moons ago, Don Knowles wrote an excellent article in Sports Car about left foot braking, with some specifics on how to use it for FWD. Don was/is one of the best and won a couple National Championships in SS in the 70's driving Saabs. A copy of the article might still be floating around....circa late 70's early 80's.

At the same token, the Archer brothers are quoted in the FWD book mentioned earlier in this thread; when asked by a well known hot shoe "how did you blow by me so fast?" they replied "easy....you were on the brakes and we weren't!" or words to that effect i.e. no-foot braking for some people is faster than left foot braking........

"At the same token, the Archer brothers are quoted in the FWD book mentioned earlier in this thread; when asked by a well known hot shoe "how did you blow by me so fast?" they replied "easy....you were on the brakes and we weren't!" or words to that effect i.e. no-foot braking for some people is faster than left foot braking........ "

Another great point... That is why I asked where do peple left foot brake... My thoughts are that the left hander at Lime Rock is the only place in NE where people left foot brake.

Raymond

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...Don Knowles wrote an excellent article in Sports Car...</font>
    Awesome memory, Greg! I think I may still have that clipping, gotta go looking for it in the attic now...

While I often use either foot for the brake, I will define "left foot braking" as applying some braking with one foot while maintaining full throttle with the other.

Raymond, in the Scirocco, I would NEVER left foot brake in the Left Hander at Lime Rock as that would tend to get the car loose (which it usually is already in the Left). I have occasionally left foot braked entering West Bend, and even rarely after turn-in but before compression for the Climbing Turn (Uphill) when tires were almost shot.

IMHO, Lime Rock doesn't have any corners where left foot braking will be faster than a different set-up, but it's a good "tool" to have in the bag anyway. Same for NHIS.

As Bill mentioned, one time when left foot braking CAN help is in settling the car for a quick left/right (or right/left) jog in the middle of a fairly straight section, or sometimes during odd elevation changes.

I have found use for it at the chicane at the end of the uphill straight at Watkins Glen, but now manage to take the entry flat out and slide to scrub speed rather than brake in the middle (after getting past the right and just angling the car left).

I used to run into such instances autocrossing and sometimes see the situation ice racing, but really don't find the "need" for it at our local New England tracks.