Evan,

Maybe you missed the post where I said I agree w/ you (or whoever said essentially the same thing). I think it's dumb, but that's the way the rules are. Do I think it's fair that an '85 Golf can update itself the the more aerodynamic bumpers and the digifant motor (which means you can chip it!) of a '90 or '91 GTI yet I can't take an '84 Rabbit L 2dr and put all of the stuff from an '84 GTI in it and run it as a GTI? Hell no I don't think it's fair, but because of the VIN# rule, that's the way it is.

The CB has seen fit to say that all the A2 platform Golfs are the same car, even though some are 4dr, some came w/ rear drum brakes, and they came w/ a variety of engines, yet you can't swap parts between two different trim level cars of the same year because the VIN# differentiates them. Does that make sense? Hell no it doesn't make sense. But, I can see the same mentality that went into the ECU rule at work here. Since there's supposedly no way to tell the cars apart based on the VIN#, they figure there's nothing they can do to stop it. But that's not entirely true. I believe that all of the late A2 Golfs (90 - 92) came w/ digifant injection instead of CIS-E. Easy enough to differentiate the cars based on years. Note: I'm not an A2 guy, so I don't know if this is correct or not.

I'm sorry you think these discussions are pointless, but if they provide someone w/ some information they can use when contemplating the purchase of a car, then I don't think they're pointless.

I agree that the CB needs to review this and make some changes where it's appropriate.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI
SCCA 279608