Thread: fuel problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Isn't it funny how these things always turn out to be the simplest things!! a fuel pick up and distributor, boy...

Years later...I have a similar problem-all right turns. Left and straight it is a champ! Definately needs new tank-the little rubber baffle is disintegrating-but it happens with full tank...any ideas?

UM my cure is an in the tank pump from a cabbie or a scirocco. they used them in 85 and up. ya might need a new fuel pump relay(more draw) bla bla maybe heavier wire/switch...
    thats my .02
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

My car had an identical problem.

Replaced my gas tank with one from Autozone and presto - life is good again. The autozone tank I picked up has an all metal baffle so it's not going to rot away like the old OEM one did.

I can go down to less than 1/4 tank before it will bog in hard right handers with race tires. Not totally ideal but for $142 out the door and 2 hours work it's acceptable to me.

This was my original thread:
    https://improvedtouring.com...t=23937&page=2

I just didn't want to spend big money on a fuel cell.
    Last edited by fornetti14; 10-07-2008 at 07:45 AM.
    '83 GTI ITB

Chris, you can solve this problem with a replacing the tank. New the 83 GTI had this problem. You can install part number 533-201-511 A. You will need to install a prepump, but this can be external. I used a facet diaghram pump. You can reduce the tank outlet down with a diesel tank hose 171-201-543 B. It reduces from 11mm down to 7mm. The 533 number is listed as a fuel filter, but is actually a resevoir. You will plumb your pre pump, the main pump and the FI return into it. The last fitting is a return to the tank. There is another discussion of this part somewhere here. I could not find it. Regards