i have been reading the forum for a while and started to look into a ride for 2002. I have a line on a 1980 Rabbit that is a former rally and Solo car and need some help to determine where it would fit, I think ITB, and if it is close to a legal car as it sits. It is reasonably priced but if it would take too much to meet the rules I will keep looking for a better candidate. my plan is to find something that could be safe and competitive to take to a drivers school in the spring.
The stats as I know are as follows with some additional questions thrown in that ill help me in my decision. I know the rule book would tell me most of the answers but i don't have one available so I am looking to the forum for advice.
Car: 1980 Rabbit, 1.8 8v engine, GTI 5 speed with 3.94 gears and Quaife L.S., Bilstein shocks and struts (not coil overs),oil cooler,welded cage, 2 Corbeau seats, 5 point harnesses(outdated), engine fire system, 13x6 VW wheels, and assorted rally equipment. It also has had disc brakes added to the rear which I doubt are legal for this year but the original drums are available.
Questions; first I understand coil overs are the way to go but to start would a competition spring and the bilsteins work for the first season? If so what rates are reccommended.
Are camber plates a must have either way?
Is a fuel cell required?
Can the stock seat tracks be used and does the passenger seat have to be stock VW?
Lots of questions for the first time and I hope this is not too boring for the experienced racers but, there seems to be a lot of knowledge among the participants of this forum so I am sure the answers are here.