Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SARRC or MARRS ??? VIR MAY 6th-8th

Originally posted by seamus88:
    Stephen & anybody not in my class(ITA):0).I have not driven this course yet but I have done 2 of the sections.I would like to have a get together Thurs. night."Maybe" have a few adult beverages and meet other IT.Com people and help each other out and do a track walk.
    I can't on thursday night because I won't be arriving until about 6am but Friday night I am definetly going out on track and watching my video to see what I am doing wrong!

Stephen

Originally posted by JeffYoung:
    - there is a bit of a regional rivalry and (friendly) and we don't liking losing to the MARS boys.

We should get a regional trophy and have some type of points system.... Make the region rivalry even more intense,
    It would be interesting to have a race against your friends and at the same time be working as a team to beet the other region. Have the "Fastest IT Region award"

Originally posted by seamus88:
    Stephen & anybody not in my class(ITA):0).I have not driven this course yet but I have done 2 of the sections.I would like to have a get together Thurs. night."Maybe" have a few adult beverages and meet other IT.Com people and help each other out and do a track walk.
    I don't believe there's a rolling cooler large enough to supply YOU with enough barley-pops for a track-walk of the full Grand Course. If you'd like, you can following the rolling tangerine around on Friday

Matthew
    "The General Li"

I don't believe there's a rolling cooler large enough to supply YOU with enough barley-pops for a track-walk of the full Grand Course. If you'd like, you can following the rolling tangerine around on Friday

nice!

Glad to see I'm not the only one concerned about coming to a track cold. I downloaded a video of the long course (not the grand course) and have watched it a few times. I figured since the additional 8 or so turns will be slower/tighter, that I'll use my handy-dandy autocross skills to learn it quickly.

BTW in looking at the track map I counted 33 turns.

I'm not sure, but if I do make it down for the practice day, I'll be toting a camera in the car. I'd be glad to have you guys all huddle around to watch some laps around the track,... as long as you don't laugh too much about how slow I am.

-dave
    newbie in ITA/MARRS
    8)

Well, I guess everyone will be in the same boat here. Although I've never been to VIR period...
    I just plan to work up the track. Start from the basics, find the type 1 corners, high speed loss brake zones, and brake markers for that matter, the areas where lots of time can be gained. Then work back from there.
    Then go to details like where the FWD line is, any banked corners? Uphill or downhill brake zones? Different pavement patches in corners?
    I drive a Black Suzuki Swift and my name is matt if anyone bumps into me in the pits lets talk strategy.
    If anyone has the DL-1 data acquistion dealeo I wouldnt mind looking over your shoulder at the lap top (Or we could put it on my laptop). This is my next big purchase.
    And it would help with learning the fast way around the track
    matt

If anyone (matt or otherwise) wants to talk DL-1, come see me - white Golf, #42. Mostly, the system is good at showing where I'm slow, so you'll know where to pounce...

Opinions follow:

The most important corners are the slow 4-5 left-right combination (it sets you up for what will be a full-throttle run all the way through "Snake" and "Climbing Esses), and Hogpen (17-17a) - for obvious reasons. Hogpen is faster than it first seems (it IS substantially banked). I'm always surprised at the number of people who choose speed through Left Hook or the 5/5a pair, over speed out of them.

South Bend is my current favorite on the full course. Carrying speed through there makes the approach to Oak Tree a real passing opportunity but you have to plan for it WAY back in 5a, so you don't catch your victim too early.

My blank spot is the 11-14 (South Course numbers) complex because I've missed out on running that end of the track.

K

Kirk,

Not to hi jack this thread but is the DL-1 pretty much the thing to have for data aquistion? I am in the market for one but am still doing research - about where Matt is, my next big purchase will be one of these. Seems like this could help me more than lots of money dropped on other stuff.

Bearing in mind that I would be using this in "NoTec" cars - I don't have OBD-II outputs, sensors, etc. since the cars I race are all carbbed - it seems this unit with not additional inputs would be useful.

Comments?

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS

Ron, consider the AIM units as well. Especially if you like the idea of saving the money and confusion of a seperate lap timing system, as the AIM units include a very complete and configuarable tach/lap timer/speed/shift lights/alarm lights display. Using the AIM data aq eliminates the need for a tach, and lap timing system as well as other items, which has obvious benefits, as well as being a stout data aq system with good supporting software, and instantaneous tech help.

Check out the threads in the "tecniques" section of this site, or email me for contacts etc.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

I know that there are other DA options out there. Jeremy Lucas is doing some comparison shopping (he posts here sometimes) and made a good point: That you need to decide what you want out of a system before you commit, because each choice brings different features to the table.

I like the DL1 but have still only just scratched the surface of its value as an engineering tool - to make the car faster. I've been focusing on its value to make ME faster, since there is more time to be found, for less money, in the driver than in the car.

K

Jake, what do they have? If you go here:

http://www.aimsports.com/auto/index.html

I see the video mixer and the dash board, but there is no info on the Evo 3, is this what you were referring to?

------------------
    Ron Earp
    NC Region
    Ford Lightning
    RF GT40 Replica
    Jensen-Healey ITS
    1/2 a 260Z ITS

Just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone else has found any good videos of the track?? I found a motercycle website that has video of the patriot course but it is backwards then video of the south course and the north course. If you peice it all together you can get an idea of how it is!

http://www.teampromotion.com/tpm.php?page_...e_id=tracks_vir

Stephen

Edit...

Here is a better link of the patriot course... It wont make you so see sick!! Still backwards though.

http://www.catseyeweb.com/dinanm3/

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited May 01, 2005).]

Ron-

Sorry! I missed your reply, somehow. (Too distracted by threats from a big Johnson, I guess! LOL) Anyway, go back to the site and click on the MXL.

While it looks like just a "wicked cool" dash display, what you are looking at IS the system. All the sensors plug into it. It is VERY capable. Your laptop plugs right into it, so it's super easy to use.

Also, it is absolutely mil spec...the connectors would be the best connectors in any car, let alone a ..well, nevermind..that was going to be yet another British car joke.

Anyway, it is a neat unit because you get the capabilities of a data AQ system, AND a tach/shift light display, AND a lap timer with a display.

They seem to be adding capabilities all the time as well, and in a plug in kind of way.

Worth a look.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Schwing!

There are 18 ITB cars registered for the VIR race as of yesterday!

Most excellent...

K

Originally posted by Knestis:
    Schwing!

There are 18 ITB cars registered for the VIR race as of yesterday!

Most excellent...

K
    take one off the list

I was very excited for my release of the redesigned RST Performance Racing Audi but unfourtunatly the new suspension design has some flaws. Major enough that a 14 hr tow would not be a good idea! So the new and improved Audi will not be out until July 4th when we go to Mid-Ohio. ( http://www.cincyscca.com/index.php ) Hopefully before then we will do some testing and build both cars to our new specs. I was excited at our success at the ARRC last year but we still need another second to stay up with those accords and to claim at least 1 track record somewhere in our travels!!

I was really looking forward to meeting a lot of people on the board and especially looking forward to racing against Kirk in his A3! Make sure you post all the excitment and photo's from the event!

Stephen Blethen
    NER ITB Audi Coupe

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited May 02, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited May 02, 2005).]

For those of us with no race car....

Since they are using the Grand Course, where would be the best place to set up a camper and still be near enough to the pits to go visit with some of the guys I used to race with?
    Using the GC, are they using the North Paddock and is there any other camping area close by other than on the outside of the main straight near T1?

This would be my first visit to VIR and I'd just like to know where I'd have to park my travel trailer, and they do allow pets don't they?

Originally posted by 2Many Z's:
    Since they are using the Grand Course, where would be the best place to set up a camper and still be near enough to the pits to go visit with some of the guys I used to race with?
    2ManyZs - You should be able to camp along the road heading into the North Paddock, which will be in use. Email me tonight (wburstein "at" mountainmotorsports "dot" net) if you get a chance -- I am heading down tomorrow afternoon.

[This message has been edited by wburstein (edited May 03, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by wburstein (edited May 03, 2005).]

Yeah, have to scratch another ITB car off the list too.
    I got sick, on top of being extremely busy with the business, and wont have the car back together.
    I think I need to just let a shop prep the car, as I suck as a mechanic...
    Anyways, this sucks, as I was looking forward to leading a huge feild of ITB cars around VIR