There are some very interesting scenarios that could pan out here...

Remember, the original post said ALL classes would be considered for the Runoffs, based on participation numbers by August.

First, I would think the regional/national distinction would likely be dropped merely due to scheduling issues.

Second, yes, IT could be more expensive, but I am not sure winning would cost dramatically more. PLACING would cost more. A real National Chamionship centrally located would likely draw more entries than the south east defacto IT championships that draws some very interested racers. I imagine a podium would become a tad more difficult.

Third....there would be a pleasing bit of fallout. If you are a driver in a...let's say.... a poorly subscribed Prod class, and this system comes along...wouldn't it make sense to rethink your ride? 15 car fields with 7 second covering the field at the Runoffs would be history...no more easy top ten for the "run the minimum races you have to per year to make the Runoffs" driver.

Gaining berth might actually mean something in all the classes.

So, IT might actually gain drivers from other poorly subscribed classes.

But for the guy who just wants to run for "fun" ...it won't cost a dime more. Right now, we have 25 car ITA fields in the NE....coming in midpack will cost the same...but 12th might be 16th...

To me, it's the prep level that makes IT a popular destination...we hear all the time how guys are entering the category to have fun, and aren't concerned about running at the front...why would that change?

Keep the prep level under control, make the classing structure as fair as possible, and "budget racing for fun" can co-exist with National Championship racing just fine....

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited April 18, 2005).]