Well I'm in the deep south...too far to pick up a 1500$ car.

If I recall from my Nissan days there were several iterations of the 240SX and I'm not really that familiar with them.

As to the 300zx, you're obviously talking about the 1984-1989 models in the $2k or below price range. A decent and serviceable model can be found well within your price range.

These came with two slightly different body styles...the 84-85's were slightly more angular and the 86 and later models had a slightly more rounded nose and subtle fender flares. Alsmost all had t-tops which are fairly well sealing. Additonally this generation of 300zx's came in either regular or 2+2 models (which have cursory back seats suitable for double amputees at best ). The 2+2 has about a 10" longer wheel base and more flat roofline when compared to the coupe (2 seat version). Finally, there were both normally aspirated versions (160 hp) and turbos (200 hp)for all these year models..

All that being said, for a kid's car I'd recommend a non-turbo (less stuff to break) and stay away from those in later years with digital dashes which seemed to have some electrical gremlins. The manual transmissions and the V6 motors were virtually indestructible if properly maintained. Even if he blows and engine there were a ton of these motors in the Maximas of that era that can be bought in a salvage yard cheap.

If you drive one and it has a "clunk" in the rear end when taking off, it could be a half shaft but more likely is a sloppy differential bushing or front mount...inexpensive and simple to repairs. To diagnose this get down and watch the diff while someone takes off from a standing start and you will see the diff rotate fore/aft suddenly when placed under load. I offer this because a friend convinced a seller high dollar rear end repairs might be in order...and the guy knocked $500 off the sale price...for what amounted to a $30 self repair.

Non-high performance struts are cheap as are tie rod ends and steering rack bushings which go a long way to restore a (relatively) crisp feel to the front supension.

Clutch and pressure plate can be had for under $100 at Autozone or the like and is an easy DIY repair. For that matter most all maintenance parts (brake pads/rotors/alternators, etc) can be picked up from local autoparts stores. Exception would be fuel injection/flow meter and some electrical components.

As far as insurance you may find the 2+2 model is classified as a "family" car since it does technically have a back seat.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Oh yeah...it will accomodate tall drivers as well as anything short of a full sized truck.

[This message has been edited by grayracer (edited October 12, 2004).]