Originally posted by Catch22:
Mark,
I never said anything about being competitive. I don't think my car would be all that competitive nationally in GP no matter how much money I threw at it. But it'd be nice to have that flexibility to be able to run some nationals, and maybe even go to the runoffs, with what is basically an ITC car with slicks. Then, switch it back over to ITC for the ARRC.

My point is all about the rules being sensible rather than competitiveness. My point is that if you're NOT going to require a fuel cell and a fire system for IT, then why in the world do you require it for a limited prep Production car? As I mentioned before, exactly how does removing some weight and running slicks make my car more of a fire hazard?
In my mind you create more fire hazards when untrained do-it-yourselfers start ripping out perfectly good OEM Honda, VW, and BMW fuel tanks and shade-tree installing fuel cells and plumbing. Now we all know this isn't SUPPOSED to be happening, but by the same token we all know it IS happening.

Make the rules consistent and make them make sense. This will add flexibility for all of us. Thats all I'm saying.
I agree with the part about shade tree mechanics installing fuel cells. But isn't that what tech inspectors are for? I'll be surprised if the CRB permits prod cars to compete without fuel cells. Maybe newer cars will be permitted to use OEM tanks? Obviously showroom stock cars don't have cells and neither do the T1/T2 cars. We'll see what the CRB has to say on this one. If the CRB allows IT cars to run without fuel cells, then the separation between fully prepped IT cars and Production cars becomes very slim indeed. Is that a good thing?? At that point, simply mandate fire systems, windshield clips, 8 point cages, and you have no need for IT classes anymore...they'd just be folded into production.

And you might be surprised what a limited prep Honda can do in GP. The ones that are out there are getting faster every race as more development is done.

MC