Originally posted by Bill Miller:
I'll put another vote in for the p/u. However, if I didn't need it for work, and could have a dedicated tow vehicle, it would probably be a nice 'burban. Went from NJ to Road America last year for the June Sprints in a friend's 454 Vortec Suburban, pulling a 24' trailer. There were 3 of us in the truck, and even w/ all our gear, there was plenty of room for one person to stretch out and sleep in the back. It towed great, was comfy as hell, and could pass just about everything but a gas station. We averaged ~6.5 - 7 mpg. The other nice thing about a 'burban, is that if you put all the seats in, you can haul 6-7 people around in reasonable comfort.

Amen Brother! I towed my Honda on an open trailer for years with my Dakota. Typical tow was 100 miles round trip to Blackhawk or Road America. Not too bad if I took it easy. A bit of a white knuckler if I went thru Chicago to Gratten or Mid-Ohio.

Picked up an '89 Suburban with the big block with 96K miles. Guy I bought it from was a friend who owned it four years and he only put 10K miles on it. He only used it to tow his fishing boat. I took out the rear seat for space for tools/parts/tires. I took it down to Sebring from Wisconsin (3k miles) in January for the National. Hills? No problem. Winning drag races out of toll booths? No problem. Gas mileage was 10-11 which is only 2 mpg less than what I got with my V6 Dakota. It is so comfortable towing. You don't even know the trailer is back there. I used to get very tired towing with the Dakota on trips longer than 4 hours. I put in 12-14 hour days with the 'burb and felt fine. Best damn tow rig ever! Paid $2500 for it!

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited March 04, 2004).]