For what it might be worth - at least for us - it wasn't ever really about the money. We didn't have a conversation that started with, "Do we want to pony up $150?" I wasn't even on our radar screen until very late in the discussion because we were't thinking in terms of "event sponsor" - it was about supporting individual racers.

As far as the motivations of the organizers, the value that they offer official sponsors is CHEAP at $150 - promo announcements, inclusion in local TV spots, ad space in the program, and other stuff. A hell of a value that, were this 5 months ago and we were bringing Lockwood on board, we would have supported. The revenues generated by the official sponsor agreements pale in comparison to the cost of running the event so I really don't believe that it is just about the money for the ARRC folks either.

To his credit, Bob MacIsaac (Atlanta RE and ARRC chair) called me this evening and we had what I thought was a very helpful conversation. It seems that there was the perception that we were mounting a "guerilla marketing" campaign, in an attempt to reap the benefits of official event sponsorship without going through the proper channels. Bob recognizes that we see things differently, even as I admitted that some of the things we are doing "look like" event sponsor kinds of activities. In practice, it becomes a semantic argument and both Bob and I recognize the validity of the others' interpretations.

I believe that we are close to resolving the situation, with the understanding that what we are organizing is more like a hospitality activity with door prizes, as a perk for the drivers of back-of-the-pack ITS cars. Bob asked what we hoped to do and I explained that we wanted to give a group of like-minded racers the chance to get together under the Lockwood Raceworks awning, have a beverage, maybe complain about the rules a little, and give out some goodies to recognize the effort of some true underdogs.

No banners around the track, no expectation of promos on the PA, no spot in the program. No suggestion that IT2 is a real class or that Atlanta Region, the ARRC, or the club endorse the class that isn't a class. No high profile awards ceremony.

Kirk