Originally posted by Bill Miller:
Jake,

The 1.7 914 is a good example. Sure would like to know how that car didn't fit w/in the performance parameters of ITB, but the Rabbit GTI does. Actually, I do know how. It's because there are no defined performance parameters, and it's a bunch of subjective "I think car X is too fast for class Y". If this wasn't the case, these guys wouldn't be hiding behind it.

I'll have to go back through the posts/emails, but IIRC, when I asked where the 'process' [sic] would put the Rabbit GTI, and at what weight, it was ITC @ 2275# or ITB @ 2000#. If those numbers are not correct, would someone on the ITAC please post the correct ones?

Then you've got guys like Andy B. that would rather give smart-ass answers than actually deal w/ the issue. But, since that's the answer he gave, maybe he'll define exactly what he means by "Too slow for ITA". Is that too slow to win? too slow to finish in the Top 5? Top 10? too slow to finish on the same lap as the rest of the field? ???

Actually Bill, you have guys like me who are tired of your posts. I am happy to discuss this stuff. The 'process' incorporated enough subjective factors that are debated and voted on by the ITAC, that a formula can not be produced. We use an estimate of HP in IT trim as the very foundation of our process, then target a power to weight and then add or subtract based on advantages and handicaps. If a formula was provided (there is none) everyone would be running their car through it and crying wolf. Not a good idea.

In the case of some cars where ACTUAL dyno numbers are know, we can make more accurate estimations. In the case of your (10th?) request of the ITAC, the REAL numbers we have at our disposal show us it reacts well enough to IT prep that it is much more an ITB car than an ITC car.

It isn't alone in that regard. The ITA RX-7 is the poster child for being 'more than what it is on paper'. At 108 stock hp, it should easily be an ITB car but the REAL dyno numbers show it's a tweener.

We HIDE NOTHING. There are just some things that WOULD NOT benefit the members if we tried to FORCE them into a formula.

If you can't understand that 'faster than the benchmark in ITC' is outside the ITC envelope, I can't help you.

AB

(Edit) Typed ITS RX-7 instead of ITA...
------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com

[This message has been edited by Andy Bettencourt (edited June 20, 2005).]