I've devoted two years in running an S and all things considered....I have no regrets.
Here's how I look at it>
If you want to win..you are going to spend $$$ in anything...A top class RX-7 or a 325 is $30 k + to have a front running car..and I've seen 325's run in to the 40's.
As far as driveability, handling, and realibility it's hard to go wrong with a 944 . N/A or S...they are just so much fun to drive, and forgiving.
Secondly, with over 200,000 produced...E-bay is a great source for replacement parts which helps in overall maintanance.

Venu: with a 944, there are so many race venue's you can compete in that gets you onto any track - anywhere - with similar competition if you class your car right. Set it up for ITS at 2750 #'s with out your interior...then save all interior parts to go in easily for PBOC and PCA, you add about 75#'s in weight and now you are set for PCA at 2822#'s
Ive also started getting into longer races where the realiability of the 944 comes into play big....3 hour + enduro's. You can go over 2 hours on a tank of gas ( less pit stops ) your brakes never go away and can last a 12 hour, tire wear is even due to the weight distrubutition, etc. so as the race goes on, you slowly climb up teh ladder as everyone else droops out.

As far as times and performance, I think I have squeezed out as much hp as you can get without spending lots of $$$$. Good motor and head, good suspension, and good exhaust system has me 1 - 2 seconds /lap behind on short tracks ( Roebling 1:21 > 1:23 ) and 4 - 5 seconds off on long tracks ( Sebring 2:32 > 2:37 ) which i attribute a couple of seconds to driving ability alone because I have been going up against a driver, Kyle Rathbun, who is driving a stock - full interior - stock suspension - still has stock exhaust with the cat still on 87' 944 S and we are only a second apart because he just flat outdrives me....he's really shown me how good a 'good' driver really drives.

All in all, I am usually in the top ten in ITS and can be very competitive ( 1st - 3rd ) in PCA H class and PBOC R-7. I get the same prize money as the winning ITS guys at half the price and just as much fun.

Mark
#54 ITS