Andy's right. Paul Newman beat Lee Mueller (Newman in a 6, Mueller in a 7) in 1975 for the D Production championship. I think Mueller or possibly Ken Slagle won one or two D Prod championships between 76 and 80. I saw a road test of the Group 44 D Prod TR7 and I think the got 175 hp out of that crappy 2.0 liter 4 cylinder. The 7 was the D Prod car to have at that time, with the 924s coming on after that before D Prod passed away....

The 8 was in C Prod, I think with the 280zs, etc. Ken Slagle won a championship in 82 in his convertible, and Lee Mueller ran a beautiful black convertible as well that was competitive. I even think the E-Type was in C Prod? Is that right? Or was it B?

Great racing back then. Kirk, you are right. Amazing how much technology as progressed.

The TR8 is probably a prime example. In 1980, it was the second quickest mass produced production car you could buy, after that Vette. And it had 133 hp and ran a 15 second quarter. Crazy. Bad times for cars. Hell, I think one year in the late 70s the fastest American vehicle in a straight line was that crazy old Dodge Lil Red Express wagon.