The JH is easy to keep active. They are simple to work on and parts are readily available. In its day it dominated its class in SCCA.

The Lotus 9xx engine series had teething difficulties early on but was later developed into a solid power plant. Tuned for broad torque, the normally aspirated 911 rally engines produced 240bhp and scored a World Rally Championship for Talbot. A JH's 907 engine can be built to be reliable and powerful but doing so is not cheap. Unfortunately, most you find on the market have not been well maintained by POs and many suffered from marginal quality control at the time of manufacture.

I don't race myself but I have a friend who autocrosses his. I don't know the details about what organization/class he runs in but his car is basically stock and there isn't a lot he is allowed to do to it. The car is a daily driver; he loads his race tires into the cockpit around him on race day, drives it to the event, swaps them and races. He swaps 'em back, drives home and uses the car to call on clients during the week.

These days the JH gets grouped with modern cars that have independent suspensions, 4w disk brakes, etc so it is very difficult to be competitive.

PC.