Originally posted by ITSRX7:
The key to the hp in these cars (in IT form) is the extensive ECU tuning that can be done. Gut the factory ECU housing, throw in a MOTEC and you have a real HP bump in some cars - THESE CARS.
Despite the claims and wild claims by those who program chips and reprogram ECUs, etc., You are just not going to get wild numbers out of a modern NA car by dinking around with maps. The OEMs just don't leave that much on the table. They fatten up the mixtures because that is safe.

The bottom line is maps are maps. It doesn't matter if the maps are in a MOTEC or an OEM box. Most reasonably modern cars have 3D maps and can alter mixture and spark advance. MOTECS don't have any voodoo magic that distorts physics and allows them to make more power. They only let the average monkey (OK, a monkey with enough cash burning a hole in their pocket and willing to risk blowing up and expensive engine) adjust thier maps. Period. They don't reconfigure physics or chemistry.

I still don't believe for one second the gains claimed on the E36 Bimmers. The only explanation that is plausable is understated ratings from the factory which I have a bit of a hard time with.

I think there's monkey poo in the air. Duck.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com