OK, I've been out for a day and I have stirred the pot. Yay! Scott Giles is exactly correct in his suspicions about what I had in mind. Basically simple stuff like: get rid of door glass, gut the passenger door, get rid of dumb stuff like washer bottles and heater core/hoses, put the battery wherever you want and use whatever kind of bettery you want, cut off brackets to things you were allowed to remove, and be able to cmo up with some kind of rule that says you can modify or replace the electrical harness in the car as long you don't violate another rule is the process.
On the last point, I find it absurd that I just had to pay $355 for a brand new stock fuel injection electrical harness for my Volvo 142 because the old one was falling apart due to being 33 years old. It's just frickin' wire! I could have built a new harness for $50 out of wire and connectors I mostly have laying around the garage. Stupid. These are race cars: all of what I just said could be done for almost no cost, the reason I know this is because I did it when I converted my ITC car to HP. It really doesn't cost much to take parts off the car. If you want to keep them, fine, you aren't required to remove them any more than you are required to pay Rebello $5000 or whatever to build you a motor. I don't really understand any argument that says that IT is turning into the current form of Production because you moved the battery. Get real. The E36 BMWs have the battery in the right rear trunk, why can't I put the battery in my Volvo there? It doesn't cost anything (OK it costs a little...) and it's an easy way to get the weight balance right on the car. Taking out the dumbass washer bottle sure doesn't cost anything. For me it's a question of aesthetics: what the hell is a washer bottle doing in my race car? Well, actually, it's doing nothing.
And Mr. Dewhurst, I'm really not sure what my winning pecentage has to do with it, or whether I race production (which I also do with an HP Scirocco), but in my racing career over the last four years I have entered about 15 races or so and I have won two, both last year. Which is about a 6% winning average, more or less. I'm pretty sure I've come dead last on at least two occasions as well, which would also be about 6%.
OK, bring on the flames!