Stephen has mentioned his annual tech in his region a couple of times here. In relation to class legality???
Hmmm... Around here all they look for in Annual Tech are the safety requirements. They look at NOTHING in regards to legality outside of safety. Are things different elsewhere?

I've only been racing with SCCA for 2 years, but I've been around the club for 10 years. From what I've seen, there are alot of "interpretation" issues. In other words, someone read the rules and felt that the rules allowed what they did. This ends up being a matter of interpretation from the stewards, and from Topeka if it goes that far. Thats where you find out if you're legal from what I've seen.

As far as getting an answer ahead of time... I'm not sure how you'd "officially" do that. Its easy to get a friend thats a steward or just very knowlegeable about the rules to look at it and tell you what they think. But if youre looking for a signed piece of paper that you can carry around that officially blesses something you've done... I don't expect you'll get it.

On a side note, and I may be in the minority, but I like the way things are currently done at the ARRC. Winner takes off the head and the other 2 podium spots get their intake and exhaust ports checked. Fuel is tested, ride height is checked, and of course you roll across the scales. Finally, the podium sits there with their hoods up for at least an hour (we were there 2 hours this year) for anyone to see. Want to protest something... There it is, protest it.

I've heard several people say that there should be more extensive teardowns at the ARRC. I wholeheartedly disagree. This is AMATEUR CLUB RACING! There are no big checks on the line, no contracts with Penske... Its supposed to be for FUN.
Its not fun, as a reward for winning the race, to spend the entire night reassembling your car so you can run the enduro on Sunday. You should be drinking beer, eating cajun food, and celebrating your good finish. Because lets face it, thats the only real reward you get.

I know, lots of rambling, but its a touchy subject for me. Cheaters will cheat and they'll probably eventually get caught... Fine. Great. Whatever.
In the meantime we need to be careful to not suck all of the fun out of this sport in an effort to catch a few guys in the dishonest minority (and I do believe its a minority). I don't know about you guys, but FUN is all I'm getting out of this stuff.

------------------
#22 ITC Honda Civic
3rd Place 2004 ARRC
1st Place 2004 ARRC Enduro