Originally posted by sgallimo:
I really do have doubts about the competence of any governing body that could believe that exposing an incredibly oversized seat belt to the elements for more than 2 years would result in a significantly larger decrease in driver saftey ...

You need to check the information that is supplied with your belts, as well as the rules for NHRA, and other organizations...

While I agree that these belts would be perfectly fine to use for the originally specified 5-years, even the manufactures data supplied with the belts shows that they do degrade over a two year period... The SCCA is just reacting to what the "experts" are telling them.

Additionally, other organizations, like the NHRA, have required a two-year replacement rule for some time... so in reality, the SCCA (in typical form...) is reacting LATE to this trend...

It's not really worth complaining about, because it's likely not something that is going to be changed... My comment about the money it costs was based on a choice we all have... We can 1) complain, protest, and bitch about it, or 2) Just ante up, pay our money, and go on racing

I suppose that there is a third option, which would be to try to campaign to get the old rules reinstated, but I tend to believe in matters such as this that it would be a futile effort...

Don't be suprised if, in the near future, H&N retraints are a required item as well... Just seems to be the way things are going...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited July 08, 2004).]