Kirk, I too see your point, but think of it this way.

Take a fraction, the numerator of which is the number of race cars of a certain make and the denominator is the number of street cars of the same make.

Oddly enough, I would suspect that the ones with the highest value fraction would be "oddball" IT cars. Alfa Milanos, TR8s, Opel GTs, Jensen-Healeys.

In other words, because these cars have a cult following, it is MORE likely that someone is going to be crazy enough to turn it into a race car.

From what I've seen, racers are of two broad categories. 80-90% have some "brand" loyalty but are more interested in building a car that is sure to be competitive. The other 10-20% is a significant chunk of the SCCA, and consists of idiots like me who engage in Quixotic quests to make an unusual car a sem-competitive race car.

I guess what I am saying is that racing is not "normal" behavior and it attracting for the most part gearhead oddballs. Some of those gearhead oddballs make a quirky car choice because, well, they are gearhead oddballs. They, as 10-20% of an IT field, are as important, and perhaps more important, to the long term health of IT than the guy who ran a 240z in the 80s, a 2nd Gen RX7 in the 90s and now wheels a 325. Not to knock him, but he's also probably the guy who bailed on IT to go SM racing because it is close and exciting. He's looking for the next best thing.

The oddball -- and there are more than you think even in the SE Div (Alfa Milanos, AMC Spirits, TR8s, even 240-260-280s and 924/944s have to be considered unusual cars when compared to the norm of 240sx/RX7/BMW) -- is the guy who is going to stick with his car and the class.

So, finding and classing unusual performance cars is actually probably just as likely, in my opinion, of attracting new guys who stay as making sure the latest hot 4-door sedan has a place to race. I guarantee you that if you make a place in ITS for the SHO, the 928, or something like a Subaru SVX, someone, somewhere will think like I did, or Ron did and go "Cool! what a neat race car that would make!".

Off soapbox now.

Kurt, you done racing for the season?