Ron,

I agree that there needs to be an expansion of IT to accomodate newer cars. It's the whole "raise the bar" concept I've mentioned for the last couple of years. There's no reason there couldn't (or shouldn't) be 6 or 7 IT classes.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the V8 Mustangs and Camaros compete in ITGT before AS came along? I know there used to be an SSGT as well. But, don't kid yourself about AS cars being that expensive. You can buy 2 or 3 (4?) for what you'll pay for a good, used E36 (I thought James Clay had one for sale for ~$40k). IIRC, the '01 AS Runoffs winner was going for $20k-$25k, right after the Runoffs that year.

George,

I wasn't racing in IT when it started, but I knew people who were. I started Time Trialing my Rabbit GTI back in '87, when they were still SS cars (and the 1st gen RX7 was in ITS!). I do recall a conversation I had w/ someone from the SCCA (NNJ Region) back then, that tole me about the different racing categories w/in Club Racing. His words were that IT was designed for the old SS cars. Keep in mind that IT was not that far removed from SS back then (dual purpose nature and all). The reasoning behind the 5 year waiting period was so as not to 'steal' cars from SS. Hell, someone even used that in the Dec. FasTrack, as a reason to not shorten the waiting period.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608