Originally posted by seckerich:
Grand Am has the weight in a box in the original passenger seat area and provides a safe, secure, and realistic mounting location instead of in the footwell where it will kill any chance of balancing the car. These are race cars after all!! Rules creep is a crock, allow normal race car mods and get on with it.
I'm not sure weather you are supporting opening up the weight rules, or are in favor of keeping the weight in a box on the passenger floor, but I can tell you this...

The weight is being added to COMPENSATE for a predicted performance advantage the car has over other cars in the class. It's not there to help "balance out" the chassis... That would be a performance ENHANCEMENT. The idea is to slow the car down, take away some of it's handing, braking, accelleration, etc...

As for getting "balance"... I sincerely doubt you are going to see weights exceeding 200lbs too often, and all that's going to do is offset the weight of the driver and steering column...

Rules Creep is real, and it's what makes classes like SS evolve into Production. If you want to keep this class around, we have to keep a cap on how far we allow people to mess with things. If you need a higher level of prep, the SCCA provides ample opportunity to move up, which really is the idea...

When you are ready to do more, check out Production or GT...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX