1) When I race against a much heavier car, like a Volvo, he/she's's in a higher class and we are less likely to dice for position (and he is less likely to be in the heat of battle during which time he is less likely to pop my rear end.)
2)Wait until you attempt to brake with those four wheeled, oversized and vented front brakes (2800 lbs or not, the Beetle will outbreak any pre-nineties car on the road.
3) Wait until you try to power with your 1500-1600 cc against 2.0 liters of IT "breathed upon" horsepower. (How many horsepower and how much torgue do you think balanced and blueprinted, recurved induction 2.0 liters with 10.5:1 compression will make compared to your 1.5/6?
4) And wait until you try to corner with the new state of the art suspension.
You guys really don't see what you are up against.

Nice try, but...

1. At VIR 2 months ago I spent the entire race swapping positions with a Volvo. He was battling for 4th in ITB and I was fighting for 1st in ITC. As a result, we were not giving each other anything more than if we were in the same class. This happens all the time, everywhere, everyweekend, somewhere.
2. My '91 Civic has been in ITC for several years. It has vented front brakes, the exact same units that are on the ITA cars. My brakes are very good, but because I outweigh them by close to 200lbs I can't really brake very much deeper than the earlier Civics with tiny, solid front rotors. Weight kills, just ask Bill Auberlin.
3. That VW will have to make about 145 HP at the crank to have the same P/W ratio as the typical current frontrunning ITC car (about 23 to 25). It'd need even more than that to get what the 20 year old Scirroccos are already getting. If you truly believe that someone can legally get more than 30hp with IT prep on that car then you have an argument here. IF you believe that.
4. Again, my Civic, which you've been classed against for quite a while already, has a 4 wheel independent double wishbone suspension. I believe I can corner with that VW.

Sorry, thems the facts.