Well, on this disassembly/tech inspection we're assuming it has to happen at the track and I suppose that is a correct assumption since people have to return home that weekend. And, we're assuming that the inspection should be done by us, meaning SCCA folk. But, those constraints certainly limit possiblities because our resources are limited.

If a lottery system were devised that selected from the top 3-5, randomly, and, the inspection was only done every 2-5 races, also at random, then I think it could become a possibility.

It seems to me it would be possible to form a disassembly team from the large number of people that are available. This team would be comprised of enough members that at any race there would for sure be enough to do the job so that when the random check comes up it can be performed.

Certainly, the things that people are after to check are the most important - engine meaning:

*Heads for illegal port work
*Valve sizes, port work here or illegal valve jobs
*Compression ratio
*Cams - lift and duration
*Cam timing
*Intake/carbs/porting, illegal parts

And of course there are many others, but this would catch some of the big things. Of course brakes, chassis, etc. to be inspected but this is fairly easy.

Not all the good engine stuff could be checked - but certainly the high spots could be checked with a buret, dial indicators, micrometers, and a few other things. I'm sure that there are enough people here that have the knowledge to pull this off. With the owner gladly participating too, because the inspection was random instead of a personal attack, then it'll go smoothly. I'd wager that most owners can tear their cars down pretty easily thus with them overseeing it should go quickly.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, there always are, and I'm sure some people might say "you people aren't tearing down MY $20,000 engine", but, at the risk of getting flamed and kicked out of here, is IT about $20,000 motors? And, to check the basic things that are needed a teardown doesn't have to happen - head removal, which is usually no huge problem, can get most of the stuff people are interested in knowing about.

I might be way off here but I'm just trying to inject a little newbieness into this procedure that seems to, by and large, not work too well.

------------------
Ron
http://www.gt40s.com
Lotus Turbo Esprit
BMW E36 M3
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!