Originally posted by ddewhurst:
Jake, Ray & other 1st gen RX-7 folks, what will it take for the 1st gen RX-7 ITA to run with the front cars in ITA ?

Less weight ?
There really isn't much left on these cars to take off legally. The driver, on the other hand...

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Alum flywheel ?</font>
This will help a little as far as helping these torqueless cars get off the turns a little better but won't do much in terms of bettering the lap times or trying to hang with Hondas.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\"> Smaller diameter clutch/pressure plate ?</font>
Same as above.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Other items.....?</font>
Can't think of any right now.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Can it keep up without street porting ?</font>
Hellll No. Driven both 7's and girlie man Hondas. I'm almost two secs faster in the Acura (without any engine or tranny work, as in bone stock)than I was in the (developed 7)at any track.

Here's my take on the whole bit. The only thing left to do to these cars is to allow street porting. The cars suspensions have been developed almost to the point where they're becoming overdeveloped, because that's the only thing on these cars that we were allowed to do anything to, so, we can get these cars to handle pretty well. These cars lack torque and straightaway speed and the only cure will be to allow street porting. Before y'all start shakin in yo boots, street porting will not give the RX-7 new life, it won't be a honda killer by any means but it will give it enough juice to put up a fair fight or at least get it into the top 10 (if only 9 hondas show up) . Maybe some of the Canadian bretherens up north can give us some idea of how a street ported 7 does against the top dogs as I believe that or, I'm pretty sure that street porting is allowed in Canada.
Ray