Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Port and Polished the Head ???

Geez Darin, lighten up. I hate to break this to you, but you don't have the insight into the exact meaning of all the rules in the GCR. Reasonable people can disagree. I can buy your interpretation of 'matching', in that one side has to stay the same. However, IMHO, it is equally valid to say that you can 'match', as long as you make both sides the same. Says nothing about keeping one untouched.

Look at the rule for balancing and blueprinting. Spells out that you can't remove any more material than is required to balance. In the case of something like rods, it's pretty clear that that means one has to remain untouched (usually the lightest one).

And spare us the melodrama about 'ruining' IT. You've trotted this out before, when people have disagreed w/ your rules interpretation.

As far as the 1" thing goes, my interpretation is that you take a cross-section, defined by a plane that is parallel to the mounting surface, but 1" away from the mounting surface, and that's where you're allowed to go. If the port starts to curve right after the mounting surface, and the actual distance traversed by the wall of the port is longer than 1", you get to machine up to that point. The problem lies in just how do you measure it. If you go this route, you probably should be prepared to sacrafice a head and have that 'slice' cut off to take with you.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">... but I hear the sounds of a loophole that is slowly closing...</font>
    Man, you wanna have a one-man crusade against expensive rules loopholes? How about spherical suspension bearings (never the intent of 'alternate bushing material')? How about Motec engine controllers in stock ECU housings (wha...?) How about 'DOT approved tires' (duh...)?

There's a fine line between 'creative' and 'tortured'...

You're all wrong. Go back and read the question again.

"can i or can't i Hmmm".

I know that assumption is risky, but from the topic title, "Port and Polished the Head ???", I have to assume that the question relates to porting and polishing, not humming. And the correct answer is "We don't know".

"Can" = Know how to. Be physically able to.

Can Stefand1234 port and polish? I don't know the guy, so I don't know. If he asked MAY he port and polish you could continue your debate.

Oops. Further review of the WNNCD under CAN shows "Usage. Can and may are most frequently interchangeable in senses denoting possibility...The use of can to ask or grant permission has been common since the 19th century..."

Damn revisionist rule book. Who does this Webster guy think he is anyway?

Originally posted by Quickshoe:
    ...Well, then why does it even need to address the carb mounting location? Or the intersection of 2 piece manifolds? They didn't have to do that because of the old IIDSYCYC.
    If I recall correctly, the 2-piece manifold bit got inserted after the fact in response to someone applying the 1" rule to surfaces other than those originally intended - an injected 2002 maybe? (Margarita-impinged memories of the '80s.)

This argument is a great example of why all of the "you cannots" should be taken out of the rules: They leave free, by implication, anything not listed as prohibited.

I also seem to remember that the gasket WAS included in the wording of the port-matching rule at one point, waaay back when.

FWIW, I've always thought that "1 inch from" meant "1 inch perpendicular from." It would be harder than heck to measure accurately otherwise.

K

Originally posted by Banzai240:
    It's not the inconsistant approach... it's the BS way that those building the cars twist them up to mean what they want them to mean...
    WOW Darren, rough morning?

Frankly, I am not twisting anything to mean what I want it to. Honda engineers probably did a pretty good job, anything I do would probably yeild little gain and quite possibly make things worse. Therefor, I don't really care what the rule is, just that it is clear. We may intend on utilizing it to our advantage, or we may just want to know what the rule is.

I know you work hard for the IT community, it is appreciated. What is not appreciated and is "BS" is your reaction when someone doesn't agree with YOUR interpretation.

All these rules aren't black and white. It is our job, as racers, to know the rules.

The fact that I find some of the rules confusing and inconsitant in the way they are written doesn't mean that I belong in another class.

Take a minute and look at the rule with an unbiased eye. Could it be better written? Could it reasonably be interpreted to mean something other than what you think it means?

Hope you are having a better afternoon than your morning apparently was.

[This message has been edited by Quickshoe (edited May 05, 2004).]

zracer22 Guest

Measure the one inch any way you want, and port the hell out of the manifold and head within that one inch. If you don't do any P&P in the bowl, all that shallow port matching doesn't make a bit of difference. Once you have the manifold, gasket and head port matched, you have done all that will benefit the performance. The bowl is were HP and torque are made. If you remove too much material beyond what is required to port match, there is a damn good chance that you will lose power.

Thank you Z-Racer for bringing a bit of sanity to this discussion.

You can hog out 1" on your head all day long at the gasket area. All you will do is slow down. Remove as little material as possible to match the gasket and Boom. You are done.

Sheesh

Awww. But I WANTED a huge drop in velocity and pressure right before the gas column changes direction into the combustion chamber. Waaaah!