Originally posted by Geo:
Again, this is dubious.

Controlled tests yeild inconsistent results. Low profile tires will react a bit faster, but the heavier wheels will slow acceleration.

Why would it matter, anyway? Even if it is for the purposes of changing gearing, allowing the use of any wheel diameter within a maximum width is no more against the "spirit" of low-cost than allowing $1600 custom machined final drives. Sure, alternate F/D sets aren't that expensive for many cars, where they might be available as factory options or borrowed from other models, but in allowing their use in those cars the rules have almost mandated that folks like me pay big $$$ for a custom one for my car since no alternate F/D is available for my car. If I had the option of using any size wheel I want, as long as it's 7" or less wide, how is this any different than changing from a stock F/D to an alternate F/D, as already allowed by the rules. If you don't want this kind of performance enhancing option for fear of escalating costs (I guess you envision a different set of wheels/tires being necessary for each different track you run, to optimise gearing to the nth degree, in order to stay competitive), then we need to outlaw ALL alternate F/D rations and make everyone run the stock ring and pinion. Ooooh weeee, that's be popular.

Admit it, there are VERY FEW RATIONAL ARGUMENTS against allowing open wheel diameter, as long as all other factors stay as they are, when you consider that F/D's are already open making the "violates the spirit of low cost" argument invalid.

------------------
Richard Floyd
'86 Acura Integra LS #90
SCCA ITA / NASA ECHC H5

[This message has been edited by RFloyd (edited July 21, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by RFloyd (edited July 21, 2003).]