Originally posted by Knestis:
Sorry, Darin - you're on my turf now. You are completely and utterly misapplying the term "empirical."
Would anyone believe me if I told them I had an egg timer sitting here ticking in anticipation of just how long it would take Kirk to completely rip apart my suggestion???

Kirk,
There are degrees and levels of application to pretty much everything we might suggest here... You can take a definition to the ump-teenth degree and never get any satisfactory answer, or you can take the generally accepted terms and try to get something done. Neither is wrong. Both can yield acceptable results...

The question in this case is just HOW accurate does this really need to be??? In either your case or mine, emperical methods ARE being applied. You choose to apply every method that can possibly be conceived, and I choose to apply those that I feel will actually significantly affect the outcome.

If your method gets a car classed within say 50lbs of perfect, and mine gets them within 75 or even 100lbs of perfect... do you think there are THAT many drivers out there who will have the resources, skill, and environment ALL come together at the same point in time to really be able to prove the difference in 50lbs, one way or the other???

Anyhow,... I initally had "arbitrary" there instead... but the definition for that implies that NOTHING was considered, and I KNOW that isn't the case.

So, in summary... I did NOT completely misapply the term emperical... Factors are considered and past experience IS considered. Maybe not to the degree the satisfies every POSSIBLE aspect of the defintion, but emperical non-the-less...

Tag... You're it!

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Auburn, WA
ITS '97 240SX

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited October 02, 2003).]