Originally posted by Bill Miller:
George,

I'd love to hear the logic behind why you should be allowed to adjust to a cam timing outside of what's called for in the FSM. The ITCS says that if you replace plastic/phenolic timing gears w/ metal ones, cam timing has to be stock. If you use an offset key because you milled the head, you have to return the timing to stock. Is your arguement that, by virtue of having the adjustment, you're allowed to use it?

OK, first of all, keep in mind I think it should be run past Topeka before setting outside anything called out by the FSM.

Notice that all references to stock timing are all preceeded by an if statement. If A, then you can do B to return to stock timing. Find me a place in the ITCS that flatly states cam timing must be stock.

I could see a case being made that if the adjustment is there in the stock engine, you can use it even if it falls outside the FSM spec. I'm not saying I believe this is the case, only that I can see a case being made. Therefore, rather than just assume, I'd personally write the letter. That was my point Bill.

Regarding your question of non-stock cam timing being allowed if you mill the head and don't use and offset key...

The rule says an offset key may be used, not must be used to return timing to factory spec. By my reading of that, it's perfectly fine to go without the offset key even if the timing is out of factory spec.

edited for formatting
------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

[This message has been edited by Geo (edited September 20, 2004).]