Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shock rules

Originally posted by Danny M:
    Quick newb clarification then...

According to the current rules a Koni shock with a Ground Control sleeve would be legal but a coilover kit such as those offered by H&R, JIC, TEIN would not? Just want to be sure as the car I currently have is a Solo II STS car which will become an ITA car next year.

Thanks
    Basically, yes.

One could argue that since the coilovers you area talking about do not involve a sleeve, by the letter of the rule, they are legal. From a pratical standpoint, I wouldn't want to argue that in the tech shed or with the COA.

Currently a Ground Control or similar sleeve set-up that is not permanently attached would indeed be legal.

There is a very real possibility of the rule being changed for next year however to allow threaded body coilovers and those with permanently attached sleeves.

Strangely, as an alternative, you could just put GC sleeves over a threaded body damper and meet the letter of the rule and this I think would actually slide in the tech shed. But, IANATI (I am not a tech inspector).

------------------
    George Roffe
    Houston, TX
    84 944 ITS car under construction
    92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
    http://www.nissport.com

Strangely, as an alternative, you could just put GC sleeves over a threaded body damper and meet the letter of the rule and this I think would actually slide in the tech shed. But, IANATI (I am not a tech inspector).

George,

How in the world does this meet the letter of the rule??? What you'd have is one permanently attached, and one non-permanently attached sleeve. The rule prohibits shocks w/ permanently attached sleeves.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Just curious... HOW is the threaded BODY of a shock/strut considered to have a "threaded sleeve" that is "permenantly attached to a housing"? Isn't it the HOUSING that is threaded in this case?

Example: http://www.jshouseofeuro.com/Product.asp?p...&catcode=hrgj23

------------------
    Darin E. Jordan
    SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
    Renton, WA
    ITS '97 240SX

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited March 09, 2004).]