Thread: Street tires in IT? My Review

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    I find the biggest loss in time (using our data, not a hunch) is actually getting the power down at exit. On Hoosiers you can get on the throttle sooner and harder making up time all the way down the straight.

Stephen
    **Hodge-podge post to follow**

1. On the other forum, there was a thread posted about a test with an autox Vette comparing street tires and A6s. Very similar DATA was found: the peak g-loading between the tires were similar, both laterally and longitudinally. The streets were nowhere near as good at doing two things at once. You could see it pretty starkly in the g-meter scatter plots that read like a friction circle.

2. The available sizes are probably an issue. I think there would be some that would argue that the bigger problem would be with the B and C cars, not as much the S cars, because in the little cars the diametrical difference is more, street vs R. Hell, for them, it would be a bigger setup change, because even ride height is grossly effected. Counter to that argument could be that **most** cars in the same class run on similar diameter wheels/tires. So you could say that it would effect everyone evenly, for the most part.

3. On a 15X7, you can run a 225/45-15, which is available in the Rival. There was a test in the last GRM of this tire. It was faster on the 8 and 9, but whatever.

4. On the ME front. I run all sorts of tires on my car. For pdx, I've run a 13" V710, a 205 Ecsta XS on a 15X7, and a Azenis 615K on a 15X6. I also ran the ARRC on a combo of the Azenis on the 6 for a rain quali session, and an SM6 take-off on a 15X7. I'm not married to any of the above. They all "feel good." Right now, what I'm planning on doing next year is to run at least one SCCA endurance race on the Rival, a Chump on the Rival on 8s, and a Major which will probably be on some sort of R6 take off, to better keep up in the STL/FProd groups.

Unfortunately because my car has been through tons of changes, I don't have comparative data, but I ran high 1:45s at the ARRC on the SM6s, and at a late season pdx at Lime Rock I ran a high 1:05 on the Ecta XS. ITA car, VERY light prep. Honestly, I felt 1:05s at LRP on streets was very strong, I'm pretty sure with even just a smidge of development in the car, and newer streets, I'd be able to find someone to race with in even a mid sized field.

5. Why does the data matter {Devil's Advocate}? If you have a group on streets, how they compare to a class on rcomps is immaterial. I think the Blethen's experience, and from what I've seen from #4, even in a mixed group, a street tire shod car won't be dangerous or in the way. The guy or girl inside it will just be retaining a few more of his/her earned dollars.

6. Chip: I'd like to see a pic of your car with the STC livery. And maybe info on where to get me some. Or maybe just make the graphics files available? I'm borderline agnostic on the whole thing, as running the SM6 take-offs was frickin cheap for me too. But otoh, they were trash after only the ARRC weekend, and it would be easier to not have to put new tires on all the time, no matter the cost of them.

Good discussion. I have no interest in changing anyone's mind at this point, or pushing for rules changes. The organic movement that could come out of Chip's idea is compelling, though.

Will
    Last edited by webhound; 12-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.