Thread: Street tires in IT??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Car is a LeChump MX3... ~2350#, 120-125whp, parts store shocks, ebay coilovers, 15x7 wheels with Dunlop Star Spec 205/50's.

He was at the last Road ATL SCCA weekend as well... ended up finishing 3rd OA in the ITR/ITS/ITA group during mixed conditions.

Edit:
    He's gotten the car down into the 1:48's so, although that's a good pace, it's not pointy at the pointy end of the IT field in dry conditions but is smack dab in the mid-pack racing.
    Test day on May got down to 1:47.1 on 225/15 Rivals, on a reasonably hot day, and without optimizing tire pressures (first run ever on the Rivals). Hoping for high 1:45's with a bit more tweaking, better driving, and cooler temps & faster track that usually happens in November

This weekend when running older 1/2 tread Star Specs on a ITX LeChump MX-3 in the ITA/ITS/ITR group it started to rain for the last 4 laps of the 15 lap race. Full tread Star Specs would have been MUCH better, but even the 1/2 tread tires were MUCH better then the Hoosiers than everyone else was on. I was running P7 out of 20 starters when it started to rain and finished P3.

The unfortunate part though is that I counted at least 4 cars that went off and had big damage trying to stay out in the rain. Ask those guys how much running Hoosiers cost them that race? Thinking about it - even if I ran HoHos in a real IT car I'd have a set of new Star Specs mounted up for races like this when it might rain. Not far enough off pace in the dry and if it rains you are safer & faster.

Mike
    Last edited by autoxmike; 07-18-2013 at 01:15 PM.