Thread: Prep Differences Between SM and ITx

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by awegrzyn View Post
    I gave up on the topic, but then I read this:

So let's follow the logic here. ITAC assumes every car has power steering, but they know some don't. ITAC classifies all cars based on the assumption they have it.

Most Miatas have power steering, but some don't. ITAC classifies both types of Miatas on the same assumption that they have it, and they did not penalize the Miatas with the manual steering rack. Neither did they penalize other type of cars with manual steering.

You say above, it takes power to run power steering. I agree. Mazda Miata with power steering is going to be slower than one with a manual. ITAC is already OK with such a big difference, therefore, there is no reason to complain about de-powered racks.
    the ITAC assumes the car makes the HP the OEM said it does, and generally assume a 25% gain over that number in IT trim. when a car came with PS ONLY, then the pump is supposed to be included in the test that derived the published HP numbers (SAE NET rules from some 30 years ago). cars without PS or with PS as an option likely DON'T have the pumps losses included in the published number.

the logic behind the rule has nothing to do with the Miata. but since you CAN replace a PS rack with a manual one, the Miata classification is correct on a single line. few other cars with any level of popularity have this option. when they do, their classification also allows them to change to the factory non-powered steering.

cars that come with PS are not at a disadvantage because the pump losses are included in the stock power numbers from the OEM, and the pump may be under driven in IT, in effect lessening a power parasite. the manual steering only (i.e. PS was not an option) cars don't have a PS pump to under drive and didn't have the associated losses reported in their OEM hp figures either (theoretically). so they are actually expected to make MORE power gain from the motor than the PS cars, if you think about it.

in either case, unless you upset an IT championship battle or piss someone off, running a de-powered steering but otherwise complaint miata in IT is not going to get you protested 99% of the time.
    Last edited by Chip42; 06-13-2013 at 05:14 PM.