Hello everyone, happy 2013.

My RX-7 has a Kirkey seat in it that was in it when purchased. I've used a few other Kirkeys before in track cars and really like them, but this one does not have as much "rib" support as the others did.

Upon further inspection, I'm worried that the seat is a drag race seat due to the low sides. My plan had been to buy head and shoulder supports and move the seat a little lower and add a little lay back to it, but looking at Kirkey related material I started to think it's probably a drag seat and am double thinking all of that now.

So I have two questions really. If it is indeed a drag seat, is it safe for road racing with those attachments? It's in an IT7 car, so low HP/fairly lightweight but I hate to say "it's slow so safety isn't as important." That's simply not true.

If it's NOT safe, I'm looking at two alternatives. First is the Kirkey road race intermediate seat and the second is a "generic" FPR seat. I like Kirkey because they're able to be modified and with a seat back brace required for non-FIA seats I have just always THOUGHT that an aluminum seat may react better in a crash than a fiberglass seat attached to the cage.

I've heard horror stories of aluminum seats before though just as I've heard stories of fiberglass/plastic seats cracking and what not. The craftsmanship on the Kirkey road race seat looks top notch though and solid for my platform, but I'd like some second opinions as well.

Thanks!

-Simon